A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

Lessons from the Road

Ninevah is starting to grow on me, GASP!  Indeed it is.

The street where I live almost makes me want to break out in song (My Fair Lady).  It's just lovely.  Knowing that my most favorite season is the Fall, I am looking forward to spending Fall in the East Coast this year.  By then the bugs will start to die off, did I mention how much I don't like bugs?

My journey to Ninevah has been a slightly bumpy ride but one filled with MANY blessings along the way.  We have made it a point when we sit down for dinner in the midst of the clutter and the boxes stacked to the ceiling (which IS driving me crazy), to count our blessings.  We've lost our keys, couldn't find our beloved Kelly (pillow pet), specific paperwork we needed to find was found (in the midst of over 180 boxes), and the list goes on.  Each situation God provided and there were even some unexpected and welcomed blessings.  Knowing that God is in the details of this move encourages me and at the same token I can't help but feel a little frustrated (and overwhelmed) that the "pink elephant" (our house in CO) is still not sold.  I know God CAN, I am just wondering why He hasn't.  That has been a bit overwhelming as well as discouraging.

My discouragement with the house not selling and with the clutter by which I am surrounded, has had a negative effect on my attitude (I know, shame on me).  It's in these moments where the lessons are learned.

I've learned that Christians are for the most part ill-equipped people at handling other people's stress.  We are quick to quote Scripture, give a platitude but we don't know how to "weep with those who weep" and I for one feel that this is a tragedy.  It's as if I didn't have "permission" to be in my rut.  I had to "name it and claim it" "put a smile on it" and above all "get over it."    

Christians are quick to tell people that they can come as they are to the cross.  That God can handle their mess but yet when we see a "mess" we have not a clue what to do with it.  Here's the standard Christian response ~ throw a Scripture at it, if that doesn't work try a little cliche, now roll those up together and make 'em feel guilty because after all they have their health and if none of that works, well just avoid the person altogether until the situation fixes itself.  Oh dear!  It's no wonder we've lost our salt.  

The good news (at least for me) is that God, our Provider, is still open for business.  A friend I hadn't seen in over a year, and for that matter we were more acquaintances than friends, showed up and just listened to me with no judgement. My husband's former boss' wife, who I met casually (and doesn't really know me, until now) showed up at my house with her "Mary Poppins" bag of goodies and took over.  It took her about 2hrs to get here, she came over when the movers were here and handled everything. In her bag of goodies she had lunch, snacks, and adult beverages.  Additionally, she brought her daughters, who without missing a beat played with my girls and kept them entertained all day.   I was overwhelmed and she handled it all.  In between she even let me cry and be whiny and never complained nor shushed me, WOW!  It was an amazing day even though I spent the better part of it in a corner crying, LOL!  

I have to laugh at people that dare to say "it's only temporary" because those very people are clearly not thinking when they make that comment.  Even my well-intended friends who have tried to encourage me by providing Scripture references.  Not that any of these things are bad, because they are not.  Let me put it to you this way... 

Imagine that all of your worldly goods are in boxes, you just moved into half of the space you previously resided at.  Since you have limited space you are now surrounded by your furniture. You need to unpack a 2-car garage FILLED with boxes only to re-pack it so that you can determine if anything is damaged.  You have to do this necessary evil so you can "complete your move" because you only have 60 days to file a claim.  Oh yeah, you are paying household expenses for TWO residences. Now, look at that person in the eye and say with all your Christian piety "it's only temporary" and remember to duck! There are times when you use words and there are times when words are not needed, instead being (action) God's hands and ears is what the need is.

I give God the glory for providing "acquaintances" that were willing to make such an investment. They were living Romans 12:15 with me - Rejoice with them that do rejoice and weep with them that weep. While I couldn't help but be mildly annoyed at well-intended friends, I was thankful to God who provided just what I needed from the most unexpected people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *