A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

Brain Things


I've seen these random posts on Facebook to the tune of  "x # of things / random" you don't know about me. After pondering many brain things inside my head, I decided to put together my very own list of random facts in no particular order...You're welcome.

My books are my treasures! They are not "just" paper accidentally (or purposefully) put together, they are my friends. I will gladly introduce you to my "friends," but you may not borrow them. I have lent out very few of my books in situations that I like to refer to as "extreme circumstances", ha!  By that I mean that I've done a complete background check of the person (in my head) and they must live within rock-throwing distance so that I can easily remind them to return my book. You see I am one of those people that doesn't write, highlight, or crease any pages and wouldn't you know it, my husband is the complete opposite! His books have noticeable "wear and tear" and yes, it drives me crazy.  As a result, when my treasures are out of my sight, I am like a nervous mother hen. I know, I have issues. If someone likes one of my books it is highly likely that I will buy it for them rather than let them borrow it.

Captain Awesome: Speaking of my husband, I married Captain America, who is actually Captain Puerto Rico! Who knew?! This helps since I'm Puertorican and he's got rhythm and I don't. He's an amazing Dad, he's smart, witty, he loves God and he thinks I'm fabulous. What else could a girl need or want? Perhaps a chef and a maid...but until that day comes, I'm perfectly content with pre-packaged / pre-cooked meals from Costco and paying less than minimum wage for my girls to do chores around the house. God works all things together for good.


Ninevah: It all started three years ago and while I've learned to be content in all circumstances, that does not mean that I am happy about them. I can't help but to relate to Jonah (the reluctant prophet) and how he felt when he was told to go to Ninevah. God has and is revealing His purpose in bringing us here and, after 3 years, I am finally starting to get excited about the mission that He has called us to.

Behind the scenes: I'm one of those people that does not like to be "in the picture," which is ironic because I love pictures and I love the memories that they invoke.  If I was ever going to have a shameless "go fund me" campaign it would be for a digital camera & equipment. I'm not at all interested in opening up a studio, rather taking pictures brings me joy. I do realize that it's okay, and sometimes necessary, to hop in the picture, which means that "go fund me" campaign needs to include a skinny lens. With that said, there are those that take "putting themselves into the picture" [aka selfies] to an extreme and well, I just want to scream! That is all.

Can't we all just get along? It's not that I don't "play well with others," it's that I don't placate others. I'm the person saying things that you don't want to hear, but you may just need to hear. Whether you need to hear it or not, and whether you need to act on them or not is of no consequence to me. Apparently that makes me stand out. I am okay with that. I've learned to shake the dust off my feet and just keep moving.

Think much? I think too much. I prefer that instead of "worry," because I don't think I ever really "worry." However, I most definitely think a lot, AND I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing either. Honestly, I think people don't think enough! As I survey the social landscape it bugs me that people either don't think or are (sadly) incapable of critically thinking about things. Take for instance any fad of your choosing, does anyone bother to ASK questions? Nope, we just jump on the bandwagon and do as everyone else is doing because "it feels good" or "it's for a good cause." blah, blah! NO, I am not heartless nor do I lack compassion, but engaging your brain does not mean you are hateful; it simply means you are thinking through your actions. This is a good thing!

My hair:  Let me explain Puerto Rican hair. No...wait, too complicated. Let me sum up.  Puerto Ricans are a mix of the Taino Indians, Africans and Spaniards. The variety within our culture is vast and so is the hair. There is not a "one size fits all" when it comes to Puerto Rican hair. Regrettably, American beauticians, no matter how skilled, do not understand Puerto Rican hair. This is disappointing as well as frustrating. Picture this, when I vacation to Puerto Rico I pay $20 plus tip to just have my hair 'styled' and it looks A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!! Never mind the airfare, ha! Contrast that with *any* high-end salon of your choosing where I have to dish out $80 - $150 (or more) for a mere six highlights (REALLY?!) and after they cut and *attempt* to blow dry my hair, I am walking out in a rush to get home so that I can style (fix) my own hair. ARGH!@&*!! However, give a Puerto Rican beautician $150 and this is what you get (see above). Spare me the "my stylist is "awesome" because *unless* that woman (or man) has Puerto Rican (Dominican or Cuban) blood running through their veins then the answer is, "No, thank you." I'll wait until my next tropical vacation to get my hair done.


Coffee love: You can't buy happiness but you can buy [me] a cup of coffee and well, that makes me happy, happy, happy. Coffee is how I know that early man was smart. Anyone that can look at a coffee plant and create this aromatic, melodious beverage has got to be a genius.

Facebook: I love to hate you! The very reasons I love Facebook are the very reasons I hate Facebook. Facebook is a useful tool for conveying information quickly and effectively. It's the place where everybody has an opinion and by golly you're going to read about it, and in a most passive-aggressive way, bleh! 
Facebook Fads: Yet another reason to love to hate Facebook. Take for example the ice bucket challenge. I don't make it a habit of making the causes I support public, I simply support them. As an illustration, this most recent FB challenge went like this: You've been challenged to forgo donating to a cause by pouring ice water over your head. Apparently many people donated anyway (yay!) that's good...but do you know where your money is going?  Did you learn about their research methods of this "noble cause"?  Okay, okay...maybe I am a bit of a Debbie Downer, haha! But, isn't it sad that we've come to a place where the only way to spread awareness is to concoct a plan that offers people the opportunity to have their own moment in the spotlight rather than just donate? Bottom line, I believe that people should give generously, intentionally and joyfully to causes they can support. With that perspective, I can't give to everything and therefore I am very intentional as to where we direct the resources that God has blessed us with. As a Christ-follower that means I need to ensure that medical procedures used for research do not involve killing one life at the expense of saving another. Every life is valuable no matter how small. I shall now take a moment to bring awareness to the earthquake that affected Napa. Cheers!
Things Jesus Never Said:  "Don't judge!" True story. I cannot possibly worship a God that tells me to check my brain out at the door or to blindly follow and accept every wind of doctrine thrown at me. On the contrary, God tells us to take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). Never mind that the "don't judge" vernacular is the most misused Bible verse, which is wielded as a "defense" weapon for those that don't want their so-called facts scrutinized. Scripture is clear on this matter and no, I am not going to do your exegesis for you. Suffice it to say that God reminds us in Ephesians 4:14-15

(14) that we should no longer be children. tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, (15) but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head - Christ.  

How do you take every thought captive to to the obedience of Christ? How do you ensure that you are not carried about with every wind of doctrine? You JUDGE! You take the time to hold everything up to Scripture; not throw out a verse that you like the sound of, yet haven't grasped the meaning of, as a defense weapon.

Humor me:  I don't like scary movies because I'd much rather have tears rolling down my legs from laughing then staying up all night crying because of something scary I saw. The closest I get to being a "thrill-seeker" is riding roller coasters; after all, who can resist their hair being blown by unseen winds? I can't even handle the change in music during a drama series. As a Christian, I know God conquered death so the idea of a zombie apocalypse is not going to happen, so why entertain these lies. It is true, I am somewhat of a "Debbie Downer" when it comes to Halloween, I can't bring myself to "celebrate" death. Yuck. One of my favorite scenes in Mary Poppins is this one, but of course.  Now that I think about it, even Mary Poppins was a lil' Debbie Downer herself. I guess that is why both of us are Practically Perfect in every way, haha!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *