This week I've been able to catch up with some girlfriends (its been long overdue). Goodness gracious, it just serves to remind me how much I miss these women in my life! As in all female conversations, we can solve anything in just under 2 hours. With enough coffee and chocolate we can even rule the world (at least I can)! Ha ha!
Here's a thought that spoke to my heart - mostly because of the multiple "catch-up" conversations that were had this week - *this* topic was a common thread --> "problems the 'Church' faces," and naturally I had to blog about it...but of course. We summarized our findings as follows:
When it comes to "big" churches, the problem they face is that they take the glory of God and put it on the pastors. Everything becomes about the pastor and/or the Sunday show. It's just a matter of time before God *will* remove His blessing from them. God shares His glory with NO ONE.
When it comes to "smaller" churches, the problem they face is that of the "frozen chosen" and/or the "exclusivity" mentality; as if they hold the market on the truth. Likewise, God removes His blessing, because only HE is Truth, not us or our tightly held traditions.
In both scenarios you have people that are not growing in the Word but rather in the size of their egos.
Before you get too defensive and swing your Bible at me, pause and think. When you speak of your church body, what is the FIRST thing that comes to mind?
Full disclosure:
I've asked myself this question too many times to count. I will admit (blushing) that when asked about a church I had attended (years ago), the first thing out of my mouth was how awesome our pastor was. This speaks to where *I* was at during that time. I am embarrassed to admit that. The fact that my focus would be on *ANYTHING* other than the Word of God and God Himself was an issue. I've since then repented :)
Likewise when traditions trump the Truth; when we hold on tightly to things and they become more important than people - that too is an area of concern.
Stay on guard. Keep your eyes on the cross. Nothing else will satisfy.
Here's a thought that spoke to my heart - mostly because of the multiple "catch-up" conversations that were had this week - *this* topic was a common thread --> "problems the 'Church' faces," and naturally I had to blog about it...but of course. We summarized our findings as follows:
When it comes to "big" churches, the problem they face is that they take the glory of God and put it on the pastors. Everything becomes about the pastor and/or the Sunday show. It's just a matter of time before God *will* remove His blessing from them. God shares His glory with NO ONE.
When it comes to "smaller" churches, the problem they face is that of the "frozen chosen" and/or the "exclusivity" mentality; as if they hold the market on the truth. Likewise, God removes His blessing, because only HE is Truth, not us or our tightly held traditions.
In both scenarios you have people that are not growing in the Word but rather in the size of their egos.
Before you get too defensive and swing your Bible at me, pause and think. When you speak of your church body, what is the FIRST thing that comes to mind?
Full disclosure:
I've asked myself this question too many times to count. I will admit (blushing) that when asked about a church I had attended (years ago), the first thing out of my mouth was how awesome our pastor was. This speaks to where *I* was at during that time. I am embarrassed to admit that. The fact that my focus would be on *ANYTHING* other than the Word of God and God Himself was an issue. I've since then repented :)
Likewise when traditions trump the Truth; when we hold on tightly to things and they become more important than people - that too is an area of concern.
Stay on guard. Keep your eyes on the cross. Nothing else will satisfy.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.