A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

GHC vs Answers in Genesis

If you didn't know there's a big buzz going on regarding Great Homeschool Conventions and Answers in Genesis. I've been following this all day, there's a couple of bloggers out there that have done a most excellent job at explaining the situation, so rather than trying to explain it, may I suggest you visit these blogs -- Sapphire Sky  and Anne Elliot  If you are already up to speed then you will be able to understand what my stance is.

I wrote an email to GHC regarding their double standard and one to Susan Wise Bauer (Peace Hill Press). I  have encouraged others to do so as well especially since PHP publishes (and markets) Dr. Enn's material.

I am very confused that PHP (a classical model) would support Mr. Enns curriculum. In the Grammar stage we gladly provide our children with facts that they don't completely understand or for that matter can't "digest" yet but it doesn't stop us from giving them the information (Mr. Enns says to not to talk to young children about sin). In the dialetic a student is ready to make those connections with the already present facts at hand and consequently equipped to defend it (Rhetoric). AiG warns (with due cause) to stay away from treating God's innerant Word as a "fable".  How can expect children to treat Bible as a fable (story) one day and the inerrant Word of God the next? We can't. We need to always be consistent with the fact that God's Word is infallible. Another obvious point of contention is that Mr Enns says that Adam is a metaphor for the nation of Israel...since when?! this is not in my Bible, is it in yours?  I thank Mr. Ham (and AiG) for this valuable insight. With that said, it really does perplex me that Ms. Bauer supports this curriculum.

While I most definitely subscribe to a "young earth" theology (after all Scripture supports it). I can *almost* deal with the "argument" that each side (young earth / old earth) has to offer. Where I draw the line, if you will, is when you don't stop there. Meaning you take your "old earth" argument down a very slippery slope and begin to "change" theology (Scripture). This is in fact what Dr. Enns has done. If he wants to believe that 1 day = 30 days (or more), fine. But when you cross over into Genesis chapter 3 and begin to "change" Scripture to accomodate your newly created ideology...that is dangerous territory (heresy).

It is a very sad day when within the Christian homeschool movement we are willing to sacrifice the inerrant Word of God at the altar of the "almighty dollar".   GHC has a doctrinal statement that looks and feels very Christian yet they have no defined standard / screening process for their vendors. For a novice homeschooler who doesn't know how to navigate in the sea of curriculum, GHC by definition (lack of screening) can lead them in the wrong direction. This is troubling. That slippery slope leads to situations like the one they have now found themselves in. 

This is where I appreciate our state convention here in CO.  Although I do believe there needs to be a balance since our state convention doesn't allow children :) Knowing that homeschool families are just that families I really wish that our state convention would allow children. There are also other vendors I'd like to see at our state convention.  However, I think it's best dealt with by requesting the specific vendor and/or asking questions as to how vendors are selected, etc.  Thankfully, these are not "deal breakers" for me and I've benefited a great deal from our local convention. I continue to humbly present my questions / concerns and wait to see where the Lord leads. 

In the meanwhile, may I humbly suggest that after you've gotten your fill of the facts, take action, write to GHC & to PHP (if that's to your liking) and then stand (...having done all, stand ~ Ephesians 6:13) and of course PRAY!
BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *