A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

Forgiven Much?




This month has been somewhat hectic it started out with #HurricaneIrma and it’s coming to a close with #HurricaneMaria.  I happened to be in Puerto Rico during Irma visiting my family and then I had to watch helplessly as Maria tore through my island, thankfully my family is safe.  My mind is swirling with the logistics and details of the events of the last three weeks and then I remembered I have a blog due, on the topic of forgiveness! YIKES!

I’ve said this before I tend to have more questions than answers so I don’t know how helpful I will be a navigating this topic.  Forgiveness can be easy, leaving you feeling as serene as a sunrise at the beach or it can be a Category 5 hurricane destroying everything in its path.  

What comes to mind when you hear the word forgiveness?  Are there some people in your life that are easy to forgive? What about that person that you have to forgive 70X7 and they make your heart weary, where is the boundary? How do you guard your heart and set yourself free?  This is not an easy topic! At one point this week, I was thinking that being on the island in the midst of the hurricane would be easier than writing about forgiveness.

My heart has taken a beating, as I am sure everyone’s has at some point.  I’ve had to forgive my abusers, my ex-husband for domestic violence, prejudice, family members, people in general that hurt my heart, and lastly myself for all the poor choices I made in my life. The list is long, but His grace runs deep and while this topic is complicated it is ever so simple.  The story that comes to mind for me is (drumroll please) in Luke 7:36-50 

In this story Jesus is addressing both the sinful woman who is washing Jesus feet as well as those that are consumed in their self-righteous behavior and (erroneously) believe that they are in a “better” place than the “sinful” woman.  Similarly to the story of the Prodigal Son.  It seems that everyone rushes to “relate” to the prodigal (or not) but how many have stop to ponder the sin of the prodigal’s brother? 

Dear friends, the worst kind of sin is the sin of self-righteousness, the assumption that you on your own by your own religious activities and moral merit can somehow earn a place in the kingdom of God.  That is the most heinous crime of all for it treats the sacrifice of Christ with utter disdain, as being unnecessary and foolish. Jesus uses a wretched sinner to reach an even worse sinner.

He tells us that one who is forgiven much loves much in contrast to the one who is forgiven little. Not because Jesus only forgave them a little bit but because they didn’t see their need to be forgiven much in the first place. One who understands that they need forgiveness and one who thinks they’re not broken. Mind you there’s a lot to unpack here and I’m on borrowed space and time. I encourage you to dig deeply into these stories and pray that you gain wisdom when it comes to the subject of forgiveness.

In my estimation, as in everything else, it starts with repentance.  Acknowledging who we are in the first place – a sinner in need of a Savior.  That levels the playing field if you will.  Next is letting go of the most parasitical sin of all – our pride.  Whether we’ve been offended or are the one doing the offending, pride is creeping in and it will blind and bind you.  Only then can you begin to assess your situation and ask God for discernment so that you can be free.   Some issues will allow for reconciliation, others require healthy boundaries but you can’t get to either when you come to the table with a self-righteous and bitter heart.  

________________________________________________________________

This blog appeared at Rachael Carman, Rooted at the Throne, devotional series

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *