A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

Sweater Weather

Finally, "sweater weather (say that 3x fast) is HERE!  AND it even has it's own candle!
It just doesn't get any better than that. Wait for it, here comes your "Debbie-downer" moment brought to you by yours truly. 

Every year I have this conflict with the "celebration" of Halloween and every year I "celebrate" less of it in an effort to feel as though I didn't really celebrate it so it's all good. In my mind I safely assume that my watered-down version will become so watered-down that this thorn-in-my-side of a holiday will soon be a thing of the past. But then something happened that has expedited the slow death that I have been putting this "holiday" through. What is it, you may ask (or not) but since you're reading I am assuming you're at least morbidly curious <-- see how I threw that in there, morbid, ha!  I digress, it has been the study of worldviews. What pray tell does this have to do with Halloween?  I'll tell you. 

During the course of my worldview studies one thing recently stuck out. Other worldviews are quite bold and unapologetic about their beliefs (and unbelief). They don't make excuses or try to compromise with the Christian worldview. This of course began to make me think, why do we?  Why are we so desperate to conform rather than to transform, which is what we are called to do.  

For example, you will be hard-pressed to find a Muslim who will decorate their house with Christmas lights. They would not say, "oh we don't believe in Christmas, but the lights are so pretty!" nor will you see them buying a Christmas tree all the while saying, "it's just a tree, and besides it makes the house smell nice!" This would be ridiculous and utter nonsense to them and the idea of entertaining ANY symbolism whatsoever because at the end of the day they understand what these symbols represent and they don't think it "harmless fun" to entertain these ideas.  This made me think, why do we? Why do we make excuses to "play with the devil"?

I know, I know, we don't want to appear "legalistic" but when did spiritual discipline become legalism? When did honoring God with *all* of our heart, soul, mind and strength (our complete lives) constitute legalism? What about the command to not conform to the world?  Trust me, I struggle with this every year. Every year I pack my bags for the numerous eye rolls I receive and the "guilt trip" because I'm "that mom" which has resulted in years past of me caving into the culture. After all, they are only allowed to wear "nice costumes" and while the outside noises scream "trick or treat" we are really celebrating harvest or the reformation, you know ANYTHING to make this day doable for my Christian sensibilities, ugh! This, my friends, is precisely why it's called a Christian walk not a run. How timely it was when I "walked" across this article while I was beginning to pack my bags for the annual guilt trip.

 I've come to the conclusion that this is the struggle that should not be a struggle. It's a tough one because *every* church we've attended pays homage to this holiday in some way, shape or form. Some have changed the name but the celebration still happens on or about the same day. Mind you, I'm all about celebrating Fall, it's my favorite season! Hello! sweater-weather! I love the smells, the colors, the food, the pumpkin overdose, you name it, this season fills me with glee! Therefore, as I walk, I am examining the only testimony that I am responsible for, mine.  What does my testimony say?  When it is all said and done, I don't want to conform to this world. The question is, can I do that while sippin' on my pumpkin spice latte?  I certainly hope so.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *