A recovering Postmodernist feminist who teaches and equips those whom God has called her to serve, with a Biblical Worldview. She resides in Virginia with her husband of 20 years, two daughters and their fluffy puppy, Finley. She enjoys reading, glamping (it's like camping sans the dirt) and she's a self-professed coffee addict.

Thou shalt have no other gods before Me...

My girls are in VBS this week. I am pretty sure that I look forward to this as much, maybe even more, than they do, just trying to keep it real folks! Say YES to VBS!

This morning I made myself a latte and broke out my new Bible study.  This Bible study aside from the obvious title, is proving to be quite special.  Why? Allow me to give you some background. Eighteen-plus years ago I graced the doors of Reston Bible Church.  I thought it was God's idea of a joke to place me in what I believed to be, "the whitiest church" in America.  Nevertheless there I was and there they were. I was surrounded.  These folks were on fire for God and they weren't letting me leave their building without me knowing about it.  Praise God for that!  Pastor Minter is still there and as passionate for our God as ever.  He is a gifted and brilliant teacher of God's Word. If you are in the area, stop in.  He is the father of Kelly Minter, the author of this here Bible study.  I remember Kelly well.  I'm am almost 150% positive she has no clue who I am but that is okay. I remember her leading worship at the GAP (youth group) I remember her carrying her guitar (dream) with her every where she went.  When her first record came out we immediately bought it.  She has a special place in our hearts because she is the one that led my husband to Christ.

I am at Lifeway picking up VBS music, it's all about the music people!  Say "yes!" to VBS music! After I found the music, I began to browse for a Bible study to do with my girls over the summer and I run into this gem. I am intrigued. I read the introduction. I am hooked.  I knew I liked this girl!  Like me she's committed to avoiding "pat Christian answers" and getting past the rhetoric as we "seek a life-changing experience through Scripture."  She also prefers the intimacy of a home-cooked meal coupled with a challenging conversation.  Finally, the third thing we have in common, and I nearly fell on the floor laughing, is that neither of us can cook, haha!  We dread when we eat something yummy and compliment the chef only to be told, "that's so easy! just mix 'x' with 'y' and 'z'!" Yeah, about that, every time someone says that I walk away defeated by the reality that I am not able to accomplish even the most mundane task in my kitchen.  Unless doing the dishes counts, that I can do.

I digress, I am super excited to dive into this study! I was so excited that I was up until midnight.  I had to remind myself that morning would come soon and I could get right back to it.  After all the girls were at VBS and I had the house all to myself.   Apparently there are three books!  Where have I been?!?  I am trying not to hurry through this study as I am finding it to be quite challenging and I am only on day one!! Yet part of me is eager to "get caught up."   I shall resist and relish in this study.  You're eager to know how to get a hold of this, I know, well here it is -->  The Living Room Series  join me for a heart-changing moment and some black beans and rice! (you'll have to purchase the book, wink wink)

I will give you a teaser because I really think it's worth your time to invest in this study.  I taught Ancient History last year and if there's one thing I learned is that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  The opening verse of this study is this and the same can be said of the Christians of the 21st century --

So they feared the Lord but also served their own gods, after the manner of the nations from among whom they had been carried away. ~ 2 Kings 17:33

We erroneously tend to look at graven images and or the "obvious" things like gluttony, materialism, sexual sin, etc.  Have you ever considered your "security" being an idol? How about your iPhone? Now there's a little graven image most don't leave home without.  It's even named after "you" because after all "it's all about you."  Here's an excerpt from this study that describes "other gods" --
Idolatry may not involve explicit denials of God's existence or character. It may well come in the form of an over-attachment to something that is in itself perfectly "good"...an activity, a role, an institution, an idea, a pleasure, a hero...
I'll leave you with that, because like I said, I think this study is worth your time.  The question that we are met with is, what part of, "Thou shalt have no other gods before Me" did we not understand?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

BlogWithIntegrity.com

Donate

Video of the Day

Contact us

Name

Email *

Message *