The past couple of months I've had the distinct privilege to have people share their testimonies with me, it's been an honor. It's great to hear how God has and continues to work in people's lives. Likewise, I've heard numerous stories of people hurting which does two things: it keeps things in perspective and it makes me feel completely helpless. So into the journal they go and iPray ♥
What is "the journal?" I'm glad you asked. A couple years ago, I decided to keep a Prayer Journal. It was a "pull the plank out of my eye" moment. You know this has happened to you. Someone shares something with you like a family member has cancer, someone lost their job, their marriage is struggling, etc. and my natural response was to say, "I'll pray for you!" and then I'd see that person again only to realize I forgot to pray! YIKES!! So as they approach I am speed-praying, "Lord, you remember what's-her-name and you know that thing, oh, Lord bless her and whoever and whatever it is!" Feeling like I'd redeemed myself I'd offer the most sincerest salutation I could muster, "Hi! I've been praying for you!" Never mind that it was ten seconds long and sprinkled with prayer dust at the end, I did it. SIGH! Then I'd pack my bags for the guilt trip that would follow. I started to think what if that's how people prayed for me?
Out came that plank out of my eye and I decided right then and there that whenever I told anyone that I would pray for them I actually would do it. However, without a specific plan and a dollop of ADD, I was left with my good intentions. As a result, I purchased a composition notebook, labeled it "Prayer Journal," and began to keep a journal of prayer requests. It has definitely made a difference. When I sit down to pray I am able to focus on a specific person and their specific situation. When I see them again, it brings me great joy to not only remember their specific situation but to confidently know that I've prayed specifically for them.
I digress, as stories were being shared there was one of a family that was hurting a lot. As I jotted them down in my prayer journal I simply broke down and cried. You must know that for years I couldn't cry! I would be sincere in my empathy but I couldn't connect the dots. I really couldn't and Lord knows I would try.
What is "the journal?" I'm glad you asked. A couple years ago, I decided to keep a Prayer Journal. It was a "pull the plank out of my eye" moment. You know this has happened to you. Someone shares something with you like a family member has cancer, someone lost their job, their marriage is struggling, etc. and my natural response was to say, "I'll pray for you!" and then I'd see that person again only to realize I forgot to pray! YIKES!! So as they approach I am speed-praying, "Lord, you remember what's-her-name and you know that thing, oh, Lord bless her and whoever and whatever it is!" Feeling like I'd redeemed myself I'd offer the most sincerest salutation I could muster, "Hi! I've been praying for you!" Never mind that it was ten seconds long and sprinkled with prayer dust at the end, I did it. SIGH! Then I'd pack my bags for the guilt trip that would follow. I started to think what if that's how people prayed for me?
Out came that plank out of my eye and I decided right then and there that whenever I told anyone that I would pray for them I actually would do it. However, without a specific plan and a dollop of ADD, I was left with my good intentions. As a result, I purchased a composition notebook, labeled it "Prayer Journal," and began to keep a journal of prayer requests. It has definitely made a difference. When I sit down to pray I am able to focus on a specific person and their specific situation. When I see them again, it brings me great joy to not only remember their specific situation but to confidently know that I've prayed specifically for them.
I digress, as stories were being shared there was one of a family that was hurting a lot. As I jotted them down in my prayer journal I simply broke down and cried. You must know that for years I couldn't cry! I would be sincere in my empathy but I couldn't connect the dots. I really couldn't and Lord knows I would try.
My mom's passing crushed my soul, it rocked my faith at its core. That "faith crisis" taught me how to mourn with those who mourn. A skill that I feel is desperately lacking in the body of Christ. God is very clear in Scripture when He tells us to rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourn (Romans 12:15; 1 Cor 12:25-27) Too many times in our attempt to be supportive we tend to dismiss people's real-life emotions with trite remarks "Trust in the Lord; Cast all your cares on Him..." While none of these things are bad per say, sometimes a person wants to just be sad, mad, cry, and maybe even scream a few obscenities (GASP!) and we dare to vilify them as if its bad to feel bad. Oh, how I related to Job when he called his friends miserable comforters! (smile) Mind you after 30+ chapters of "woe is me" God stepped in and He put Job in his place.
Let's make this clear, it's not bad to feel mad/sad. It is bad to stay stuck there. God is not so callous as to dismiss your real life pain so why are we? The body of Christ has fallen victim to "putting on a happy face" syndrome. I am hopeful that we realize that can't just slap a bumper sticker on our hurt or anyone else's for that matter. Technology hasn't helped either. Instead it has served as a "permission slip" to be disconnected from people and their real needs.
We all have issues in and out of the season that we are in. Dealing with them doesn't mean we lack trust. Worry, sadness, anger are simply the myriad of emotions that go with any given issue on any given day. This just means we're alive and we're running the race set before us. Before anyone mistakes me for their emotional baggage dump, while I will be the first to acknowledge people's hurt/anger, I also know from experience that you cannot get stuck there! You must keep running (or swimming if you prefer.)
Remember to PRAY! Be deliberate about it. Write it down. Don't slap a "happy face" bumper sticker on your pain or on anyone else's and remember don't get stuck in your pity (resentment, anger, denial, etc..) party. God can handle it and He will. There's nothing new under the sun, it may be "new" to you but God has already dealt with it and He's given you an answer, you just have to seek Him.
As for me, it has become increasingly evident that God has been preparing me for such a time as this. Between my "stuttering Moses" speech impediment and my reluctant Jonah complex, it behooves me to obey before I get turned into a pillar of salt!
As stated earlier, the past couple of months people have been sharing their hurts and struggles with me. Not only have I had the privilege of praying for them, I've been able to share bits and pieces of my testimony. For the record, I've never been compelled to share my testimony. That's not to say that God hasn't been "pushing" me in that direction. God has a plan and that is that I share with you HIStory in my life.
With that said, I hope to share some of these stories hoping that you will be able to relate and know that you are not alone on this journey. There's nothing new under the sun, it may be "new" to you but God has dealt with it already and He's already given you an answer you just have to seek Him.
Let's make this clear, it's not bad to feel mad/sad. It is bad to stay stuck there. God is not so callous as to dismiss your real life pain so why are we? The body of Christ has fallen victim to "putting on a happy face" syndrome. I am hopeful that we realize that can't just slap a bumper sticker on our hurt or anyone else's for that matter. Technology hasn't helped either. Instead it has served as a "permission slip" to be disconnected from people and their real needs.
We all have issues in and out of the season that we are in. Dealing with them doesn't mean we lack trust. Worry, sadness, anger are simply the myriad of emotions that go with any given issue on any given day. This just means we're alive and we're running the race set before us. Before anyone mistakes me for their emotional baggage dump, while I will be the first to acknowledge people's hurt/anger, I also know from experience that you cannot get stuck there! You must keep running (or swimming if you prefer.)
Remember to PRAY! Be deliberate about it. Write it down. Don't slap a "happy face" bumper sticker on your pain or on anyone else's and remember don't get stuck in your pity (resentment, anger, denial, etc..) party. God can handle it and He will. There's nothing new under the sun, it may be "new" to you but God has already dealt with it and He's given you an answer, you just have to seek Him.
As for me, it has become increasingly evident that God has been preparing me for such a time as this. Between my "stuttering Moses" speech impediment and my reluctant Jonah complex, it behooves me to obey before I get turned into a pillar of salt!
As stated earlier, the past couple of months people have been sharing their hurts and struggles with me. Not only have I had the privilege of praying for them, I've been able to share bits and pieces of my testimony. For the record, I've never been compelled to share my testimony. That's not to say that God hasn't been "pushing" me in that direction. God has a plan and that is that I share with you HIStory in my life.
With that said, I hope to share some of these stories hoping that you will be able to relate and know that you are not alone on this journey. There's nothing new under the sun, it may be "new" to you but God has dealt with it already and He's already given you an answer you just have to seek Him.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.