Ever since we began homeschooling God has been doing a lot of work in our hearts. I will admit that our initial reason for homeschooling had nothing to do with wanting to disciple our children or raise maidens of virtue. Shamefully I must admit, that our reasons lacked any nobility. It was strictly a matter of ratios. The school in our neighborhood was just about to open with four K classes and all at capacity if not "over-capacity" (30 kids each). We felt there was not much a teacher could do for 2.5 hours each day other than "police behavior" and provide me with "free babysitting". I felt that I was truly blessed to be at home with my children and quite frankly I didn't need a babysitter (no matter how tempting those 2.5 hours were). So in an effort to protect my children from a stampede of 30+ 5yr olds, I opted to keep them at home. Besides it was Kindergarten, how hard could it really be? (famous last words)
It was incredibly challenging especially when I realized I was the teacher. All eyes were on me and naturally I panicked. I hunted down an experienced homeschooling mom and attended our state's homeschooling conference. The next thing I did was have my husband attend the conference. After all he needed to see what I got us into so that he could bail me out at a future date. Finally, I registered my daughter in THREE, yes count them, 1-2-3 different schools as my back-up plan.
I realized that I would need to make up my mind about my back up plan a little sooner than August so we started school in July. In hindsight, this was a smart move. Had we started to homeschool in August, I shamefully admit that I would've dropped my children off and come home to a double espresso accompanied by a big slice of chocolate cake. I remember thinking "when will August 24th (the day school opened) get here!?" It seemed to be the longest Summer ever!
In humble exasperation I also remember thinking how those 2.5 hours of "free babysitting" didn't seem so bad. What I could do with 2.5 hours! (the thoughts continued) It would definitely keep me sane, the house would be clean, dinner would be made, I would be happy! SIGH! The "benefits" were quickly beginning to stack in my favor. Let's not forget that I had that "Get our of homeschooling guilt-free" card (husband) that I was counting on in the event of an emergency. Trust me when I tell you that the first three weeks of my attempt at homeschooling were worthy of a bailout. I was reminded of the homeschool conference and how it lit the fire under us as we made the commitment to home education. Except one thing, you see it was I, the one having the pity party, who was in the daily grind and a weak vessel to boot. I quickly became discouraged and found myself begging for clemency.
I was fighting with what God called me to do. What was so wrong with wanting quiet time in the morning? Afterall, it would be more time to spend with God? What was so wrong with wanting a clean house? Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Dinner? What about time to plan and prepare meals without interruptions? Oh good grief! I wasn't asking for much. I felt a wave of understanding for all moms that send their children off to school. But God was calling us to disciple our children. Just because 4 out of 5 moms surveyed sent their kids to school, was of no consequence. Thankfully, we had purchased the entire conference and I began to pop in the CD's and became refreshed and encouraged as I realized that it was me who had to change, not my children.
Scripture says to discipline your children and they will delight your soul - Proverbs 29:17. I read it in the NIV, KJV, NKJV, and the ESV. Bottom line regardless of the version, children are to bring peace, rest and are to be a delight to their parents. I (clearly) was not having this experience. Much to my dismay, I had undisciplined children, GASP!!! But they are so cute!! Really?!
I found myself face to face with the fact that my real purpose was not teaching ABC's it was building their character and academics became secondary. I wanted to delight in my children in the same way I want my Heavenly Father to delight in me. God delights in me when I obey and follow His precepts. Likewise, the character qualities that my children learn and put into action have more value than academics. As my children learn their ABC's their character is being developed as they learn truthfulness, orderliness, discernment, hospitality, obedience, love, dependability, creativity, gentleness, forgiveness, and tolerance to name a few. God gave me these gifts (our children) and I delight in being able to disciple them.
Thus my journey began. No bailouts allowed.
It was incredibly challenging especially when I realized I was the teacher. All eyes were on me and naturally I panicked. I hunted down an experienced homeschooling mom and attended our state's homeschooling conference. The next thing I did was have my husband attend the conference. After all he needed to see what I got us into so that he could bail me out at a future date. Finally, I registered my daughter in THREE, yes count them, 1-2-3 different schools as my back-up plan.
I realized that I would need to make up my mind about my back up plan a little sooner than August so we started school in July. In hindsight, this was a smart move. Had we started to homeschool in August, I shamefully admit that I would've dropped my children off and come home to a double espresso accompanied by a big slice of chocolate cake. I remember thinking "when will August 24th (the day school opened) get here!?" It seemed to be the longest Summer ever!
In humble exasperation I also remember thinking how those 2.5 hours of "free babysitting" didn't seem so bad. What I could do with 2.5 hours! (the thoughts continued) It would definitely keep me sane, the house would be clean, dinner would be made, I would be happy! SIGH! The "benefits" were quickly beginning to stack in my favor. Let's not forget that I had that "Get our of homeschooling guilt-free" card (husband) that I was counting on in the event of an emergency. Trust me when I tell you that the first three weeks of my attempt at homeschooling were worthy of a bailout. I was reminded of the homeschool conference and how it lit the fire under us as we made the commitment to home education. Except one thing, you see it was I, the one having the pity party, who was in the daily grind and a weak vessel to boot. I quickly became discouraged and found myself begging for clemency.
I was fighting with what God called me to do. What was so wrong with wanting quiet time in the morning? Afterall, it would be more time to spend with God? What was so wrong with wanting a clean house? Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Dinner? What about time to plan and prepare meals without interruptions? Oh good grief! I wasn't asking for much. I felt a wave of understanding for all moms that send their children off to school. But God was calling us to disciple our children. Just because 4 out of 5 moms surveyed sent their kids to school, was of no consequence. Thankfully, we had purchased the entire conference and I began to pop in the CD's and became refreshed and encouraged as I realized that it was me who had to change, not my children.
Scripture says to discipline your children and they will delight your soul - Proverbs 29:17. I read it in the NIV, KJV, NKJV, and the ESV. Bottom line regardless of the version, children are to bring peace, rest and are to be a delight to their parents. I (clearly) was not having this experience. Much to my dismay, I had undisciplined children, GASP!!! But they are so cute!! Really?!
I found myself face to face with the fact that my real purpose was not teaching ABC's it was building their character and academics became secondary. I wanted to delight in my children in the same way I want my Heavenly Father to delight in me. God delights in me when I obey and follow His precepts. Likewise, the character qualities that my children learn and put into action have more value than academics. As my children learn their ABC's their character is being developed as they learn truthfulness, orderliness, discernment, hospitality, obedience, love, dependability, creativity, gentleness, forgiveness, and tolerance to name a few. God gave me these gifts (our children) and I delight in being able to disciple them.
Thus my journey began. No bailouts allowed.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.